Amrita Pritam

Amrita Pritam
This blog explores the poetry of Amrita Pritam. All her original poems are in Punjabi. I've translated them in Hindi. The Hindi translations are relatively straight forward and there are other authors who have translated her work in Hindi. In some cases, where I could, I have translated a few of her poems in English. This is an entirely different task from Hindi translation. I have major reservations and a few misgivings about any attempt to translate poems in general. All of those concerns apply here in full force. I consider these translations as my musings and explorations: they carry no weight and are no substitute for experiencing the poetry in Punjabi. I am acutely aware of the challenges this may pose to even Hindi readers, let alone English ones. I offer no recourse.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

मेरा पता ਮੇਰਾ ਪਤਾ My Address




Amrita's autobiographical vignette, with a simple instruction on how to find her in the world tied in oppressive chains. 


मेरा पता


आज मैंने अपने घर का नंबर मिटाया है
और गली के माथे पे लगा, गली का नाम हटाया है
और हर सड़क की दिशा का नाम पोंछ दिया है

पर अगर तुमने मुझे ढूंढना ही है
तो हर देश के, हर शहर की, हर गली का दरवाज़ा खटखटाओ 
यह एक श्राप है, एक वर है
जहाँ भी तुम्हे एक स्वतन्त्र रूह की झलक मिले 
समझना वहीँ मेरा घर है



My Address


Today, I have rubbed away 
          the number on my house
          and wiped off 
          the name of my lane
          and erased directions 
          posted on every street

But should you still 
          wish to find me
          go to every country's
          every city
          and knock on the door
          of every street

Consider it a curse
          and a boon
          where ever 
          you glimpse
          a free spirit
          take it to be my home


ਮੇਰਾ ਪਤਾ 


ਅੱਜ ਮੈਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਘਰ ਦਾ ਨੰਬਰ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ਹੈ
ਤੇ ਗਲੀ ਦੀ ਮੱਥੇ ਤੇ ਲੱਗਾ ਗਲੀ ਦਾ ਨਾਉਂ ਹਟਾਇਆ ਹੈ
ਤੇ ਹਰ ਸਡ਼ਕ ਦੀ ਦਿਸ਼ਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਉ ਪੂੰਝ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ

ਪਰ ਜੇ ਤੁਸ੍ਸਾਂ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰ ਲ੍ਬ੍ਬ੍ਣਾ  ਹੈ
ਤਾਂ ਹਰ ਦੇਸ ਦੇ, ਹਰ ਸ਼ਹਰ ਦੀ, ਹਰ ਗਲੀ ਦਾ ਬੂਹਾ ਠ੍ਕੋਰੋ
ਇਹ ਇਕ ਸ੍ਰਾਪ ਹੈ, ਇਕ ਵਰ ਹੈ
ਤੇ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਵੀ ਸੁਤੰਤਰ ਰੂਹ ਦੀ ਝਲਕ ਪਵੇ 
ਸਮਝਣਾਂ ਓਹ ਮੇਰਾ ਘਰ ਹੈ

Mērā patā 

aja maiṁ āpaṇē ghara dā nabara miṭā'i'ā hai
tē galī dī mathē tē lagā galī dā nā'uṁ haṭā'i'ā hai
tē hara saṛaka dī diśā dā nā'u pūjha ditā hai

para jē tus'sāṁ mainū zarūra lbbṇā  hai
tāṁ hara dēsa dē, hara śahara dī, hara galī dā būhā ṭhkōrō
iha ika srāpa hai, ika vara hai
tē jithē vī sutatara rūha dī jhalaka pavē 
samajhaṇāṁ ōha mērā ghara hai


mera pata

aaj mainne apane ghar ka nambar mitaaya hai
aur galee ke maathe pe laga, galee ka naam hataaya hai
aur har sadak kee disha ka naam ponchh diya hai

par agar tumane mujhe dhoondhana hee hai
to har desh ke, har shahar kee, har galee ka daravaaza thakoro
yah ek shraap hai, ek var hai
jahaan bhee svatantr rooh kee jhalak mile 
samajhana vaheen mera ghar hai


No comments:

Post a Comment