Amrita Pritam

Amrita Pritam
This blog explores the poetry of Amrita Pritam. All her original poems are in Punjabi. I've translated them in Hindi. The Hindi translations are relatively straight forward and there are other authors who have translated her work in Hindi. In some cases, where I could, I have translated a few of her poems in English. This is an entirely different task from Hindi translation. I have major reservations and a few misgivings about any attempt to translate poems in general. All of those concerns apply here in full force. I consider these translations as my musings and explorations: they carry no weight and are no substitute for experiencing the poetry in Punjabi. I am acutely aware of the challenges this may pose to even Hindi readers, let alone English ones. I offer no recourse.

Monday, January 2, 2012

उम्र की रात The Night of My Life ਉਮਰ ਦੀ ਰਾਤ


उम्र की रात


उम्र की एक रात थी
अरमान रह गए जागते
किस्मत को नींद आ गई

सम्मान था कुछ ऐसा
जिधर भी सर झुका लिया
दहलीज पाई उसकी

मौत से परिचित है हम
अक्सर हमारी ज़िन्दगी
उसका ज़िक्र करती रही

रात को आसमान से
टूटता है तारा जब भी
आती है याद अपनी


The Night of My Life


At the night of my life
          the desires stayed up
          while my fate fell asleep

Such was my devotion
          wherever I bowed my head
          I saw the path to her door

With death 
          I'm well acquainted
          my life often spoke of it

At night, when a star
          falls from the sky
          I am reminded of myself


: selected verses [Kasturi]



ਉਮਰ ਦੀ ਰਾਤ


ਉਮਰ ਦੀ ਇਕ ਰਾਤ ਸੀ
ਅਰਮਾਨ ਰਹ ਗਏ ਜਾਗਦੇ
ਕਿਸਮਤ ਨੂ ਨੀਂਦ ਆ ਗਈ

ਸਿਦਕ ਸੀ ਕੁਝ ਇੰਜ ਦਾ
ਜਿਥੇ ਵੀ ਸਿਰ ਝੁਕਾ ਲਿਆ
ਦਹਲੀਜ਼ ਜਾਪੀ ਉਸ ਦੀ

ਮੌਤ ਤੋਂ ਵਾਕ਼ਫ਼ ਅਸੀਂ
ਅਕਸਰ ਇਹ ਸਾਡੀ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ
ਉਸ ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਕਰਦੀ ਰਹੀ

ਰਾਤ ਨੂ ਅਸਮਾਨ ਤੋ
ਟੁੱਟਦਾ ਹੈ ਤਾਰਾ ਜਦੋਂ ਵੀ
ਔਨ੍ਦੀ ਹੈ ਯਾਦ ਆਪਣੀ


: ਕਸਤੂਰੀ 


No comments:

Post a Comment