Amrita Pritam

Amrita Pritam
This blog explores the poetry of Amrita Pritam. All her original poems are in Punjabi. I've translated them in Hindi. The Hindi translations are relatively straight forward and there are other authors who have translated her work in Hindi. In some cases, where I could, I have translated a few of her poems in English. This is an entirely different task from Hindi translation. I have major reservations and a few misgivings about any attempt to translate poems in general. All of those concerns apply here in full force. I consider these translations as my musings and explorations: they carry no weight and are no substitute for experiencing the poetry in Punjabi. I am acutely aware of the challenges this may pose to even Hindi readers, let alone English ones. I offer no recourse.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

अमृता प्रीतम Amrita Pritam ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ



An autobiographical poem that uses the metaphor of cigarette smoking. To a contemporary mind, such a metaphor maybe negative, even disgusting. However, during her time, smoking among women in India was seen as a sign of rebellion against the tradition bound elders. Amrita views the metaphor simply as way to express her mind's fire, and she was fully aware of it's rebellious nature since she was often criticised for smoking and drinking in public. 


अमृता प्रीतम 

एक दर्द था
जो सिगरट की तरह मैंने चुप चाप पिया है

सिर्फ़ कुछ नज्में हैं 
जो सिगरट से मैंने राख़ की तरह झाड़ी हैं 


Amrita Pritam


Pain:
          I inhaled it
          quietly
          like a cigarette

A few poems:
          I flicked off
          like ashes
          from the cigarette



ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ 

ਇਕ ਦਰਦ ਸੀ --
ਜੋ ਸਿਗਰਟ ਦੀ ਤਰਾਂ ਮੈਂ ਚੁਪ ਚਾਪ ਪੀਤਾ ਹੈ

ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਕੁਝ ਨਜ਼ਮਾਂ ਹਨ --
ਜੋ ਸਿਗਰਟ ਦੇ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਮੈਂ ਰਾਖ ਵਾਂਗਣ ਝਾੜੀਆਂ 


No comments:

Post a Comment