Amrita Pritam

Amrita Pritam
This blog explores the poetry of Amrita Pritam. All her original poems are in Punjabi. I've translated them in Hindi. The Hindi translations are relatively straight forward and there are other authors who have translated her work in Hindi. In some cases, where I could, I have translated a few of her poems in English. This is an entirely different task from Hindi translation. I have major reservations and a few misgivings about any attempt to translate poems in general. All of those concerns apply here in full force. I consider these translations as my musings and explorations: they carry no weight and are no substitute for experiencing the poetry in Punjabi. I am acutely aware of the challenges this may pose to even Hindi readers, let alone English ones. I offer no recourse.

Sunday, May 24, 2020

विश्वास Faith ਵਿਸ਼ਵਾਸ




विश्वास 


एक अफ़वाह बड़ी काली 
एक चमगादड़ की तरह मेरे कमरे में आई है 
दीवारों से टक्करें मारती 
कोने, मोरियाँ और सुरंगों को ढूंढती  ...
पर आँखों की काली गलियाँ 
मैंने हाथों से ढक लीं हैं 
और तेरे इश्क़ की मैंने कानों में रुई डाल ली है  ...


Faith


A black rumor
          like a bat 
          has found its way into my room
          flinging against the walls
          looking for crannies
          corners and crevices
But I have covered
          the dark lanes of my eyes
          with my hands
          and I have plugged my ears
          with the cotton wool 
          of your love



The power of this poem lies in its metaphor and imagery - and in its integration with the poet’s insight on lovers’ trust. The image of a bat entering a room and flinging against walls is provocative. In fact, I have experienced this as a child in India when I lived near a park. One summer night a bat entered the room of our bedroom through an open clerestory window and pounded on the walls looking for an escape. It is a terrifying ordeal for a child - even if the bat is the one in trouble! Amrita uses this image deftly to suggest the power of love to blind us to information we don’t want to hear. What makes the poem poignant is the fact that we don’t know whether the rumor is true.


Stage of love: akidat [trust/reverence]

 

विशवास 


इक अफ़वाह बड़ी काली 
इक चामचिੱठ वांगू मेरे कमरे 'च आई है 
कंधां नूं टੱकरां मारदी 
ते खुंडां मोरीआं ते सुरंगां लੱभदी 
पर अੱखां दीआं कालीआं गलीआं 
मैं हੱथां दे नाल ढੱक लईआं हन 
ते तेरे इशक़ दा मैं कंनां 'च रूं दे लिआ है  ...


ਵਿਸ਼ਵਾਸ 


ਇਕ ਅਫ਼ਵਾਹ ਬੜੀ ਕਾਲੀ 
ਇਕ ਚਾਮਚਿੱਠ ਵਾਂਗੂ ਮੇਰੇ ਕਮਰੇ 'ਚ ਆਈ ਹੈ 
ਕੰਧਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਟੱਕਰਾਂ ਮਾਰਦੀ 
ਤੇ ਖੁੰਡਾਂ ਮੋਰੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਸੁਰੰਗਾਂ ਲੱਭਦੀ 
ਪਰ ਅੱਖਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਕਾਲੀਆਂ ਗਲੀਆਂ 
ਮੈਂ ਹੱਥਾਂ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਢੱਕ ਲਈਆਂ ਹਨ 
ਤੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਇਸ਼ਕ਼ ਦਾ ਮੈਂ ਕੰਨਾਂ 'ਚ ਰੂੰ ਦੇ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ  ...


Viśavāsa 

ika afavāha baṛī kālī 
ika cāmaciṭha vāṅgū mērē kamarē'ca ā'ī hai 
kadhāṁ nū ṭakarāṁ māradī 
tē khuḍāṁ mōrī'āṁ tē suragāṁ labhadī 
para akhāṁ dī'āṁ kālī'āṁ galī'āṁ 
maiṁ hathāṁ dē nāla ḍhaka la'ī'āṁ hana 
tē tērē iśaqa dā maiṁ kanāṁ'ca rū dē li'ā hai  ...






 

No comments:

Post a Comment