Amrita Pritam

Amrita Pritam
This blog explores the poetry of Amrita Pritam. All her original poems are in Punjabi. I've translated them in Hindi. The Hindi translations are relatively straight forward and there are other authors who have translated her work in Hindi. In some cases, where I could, I have translated a few of her poems in English. This is an entirely different task from Hindi translation. I have major reservations and a few misgivings about any attempt to translate poems in general. All of those concerns apply here in full force. I consider these translations as my musings and explorations: they carry no weight and are no substitute for experiencing the poetry in Punjabi. I am acutely aware of the challenges this may pose to even Hindi readers, let alone English ones. I offer no recourse.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

एक घटना Debt ਇਕ ਘਟਨਾ

एक घटना 


मौत मेरी, एक बात पुरानी  ... 
कई बार मै उठती हूँ ... सोचती हूँ 
चल के... फूल प्रवाह आऊँ मैं 
लाश का कर्ज़ा उतार आऊँ मैं 

हर घटना समझा सकती हूँ 
एक चेतना समझा नहीं सकती 
लाश को होती भूख लाश की 
बाँझ ना होती कोख़ लाश की 

हारे ! कोख़ लाश की हारे 
मुई कोख़ को ममता मारे 
लाश का कर्ज़ा उतार सकती हूँ 
कोख़ का कर्ज़ा कौन उतारे !

कभी कभी मैं उठती हूँ ... सोचती हूँ  
कोख़ की लाल बही को फाड़ूं 
अपना दस्तख़त आप छुपाऊँ 
इस कर्ज़े से मुकर जाऊँ 

उठ कर ... पैर देहलीज़ पर रखती 
कोख़ की चोरी मारे मुझको 
मेरी लाश की छाती से 
चुअन पड़े एक बूँद दूध की 

सरदल अपनी जगह से हिलती  
उसकी जगह पर पाँव खड़े है 
आसुँओं को कोई तैर सकता है 
दूध की बूँद पार नहीं होती  

मौत मेरी, एक बात पुरानी  ... 


Debt


My death is stale news
          known to all...

So often I get up thinking:
          let me finish my last rites
          let me pay off the debt 
          to my dead body

I can explain all 
          but this thought:
          a corpse hungers for another corpse
          for its womb is not barren

The womb is smitten 
          by the love for a child;
          though I can pay the debt of my body
          how do I pay the debt of its womb!

Sometimes I get up thinking:
          I should steal 
          the red ledger of my womb
          to hide its signature 
          and deny this debt

I step through the doorway
          but my womb 
          betrays my theft
          a drop of milk 
          drips from my breast

The door shakes above my head
          yet my feet hold firm 
          in its stead
          I can swim through 
          the tears of grief
          but I can not get past 
          a drop of milk

My death is stale news
          known to all...


ਇਕ ਘਟਨਾ 

ਮੌਤ ਮੇਰੀ, ਇਕ ਗੱਲ ਚਰੋਕੀ  ....
ਕਈ ਵਾਰ ਮੈਂ ਉੱਠਾਂ  ... ਸੋਚਾਂ  ...
ਚੱਲਾਂ  ...ਫੁੱਲ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਹ ਆਂਵਾਂ ਮੈਂ 
ਲਾਸ਼ ਦਾ ਕਰਜ਼ਾ ਲਾਹ ਆਵਾਂ ਮੈਂ

ਹਰ ਘਟਨਾ ਸਮਝਾ ਸਕਦੀ ਹਾਂ 
ਇਕ ਚੇਤਨਾ ਸਮਝਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦੀ 
ਲਾਸ਼ ਨੂੰ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਭੁਖ ਲਾਸ਼ ਦੀ 
ਬਾਂਝ ਨਾ ਹੋਵੇ ਕੁੱਖ ਲਾਸ਼ ਦੀ 

ਹਾਰੇ, ਕੁੱਖ ਲਾਸ਼ ਦੀ ਹਾਰੇ 
ਮੋਈ ਕੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ ਮਮਤਾ ਮਾਰੇ 
ਲਾਸ਼ ਦਾ ਕਰਜ਼ਾ ਲਾਹ ਸਕਦੀ ਹਾਂ 
ਕੁੱਖ ਦਾ ਕਰਜ਼ਾ ਕੌਣ ਉਤਾਰੇ !

ਕਦੇ ਕਦੇ ਮੈਂ ਉੱਠਾਂ  ... ਸੋਚਾਂ ...
ਕੁੱਖ ਦੀ ਲਾਲ ਵਹੀ ਨੂੰ ਪਾੜਾਂ 
ਆਪਣਾ ਦਸਖ਼ਤ ਆਪ ਛੁਪਾਵਾਂ 
ਇਸ ਕਰਜ਼ੇ ਤੋਂ ਮੁੱਕਰ ਜਾਵਾਂ 

ਉਠਦੀ  ... ਪੈਰ ਦਹਿਲੀਜ਼ੇ ਰੱਖਦੀ,
ਕੁੱਖ ਦੀ ਚੋਰੀ ਮਾਰੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ 
ਲਾਸ਼ ਮੇਰੀ ਦੀ ਛਾਤੀ ਵਿੰਚੋ 
ਸਿੰਮ ਪਵੇ ਇਕ ਬੂੰਦ ਦੁੱਧ ਦੀ

ਸਰਦਲ ਆਪਣੀ ਥਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਹਿੱਲੇ 
ਉਸ ਦੀ ਥਾਂਵੇ ਪੈਰ ਖਲੋਵੇ ,
ਹੰਜੂਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਕੋਈ ਤਰ ਸਕਦਾ ਏ 
ਦੁੱਧ ਦੀ ਬੂੰਦ ਪਾਰ ਨਾ ਹੋਵੇ। 

ਮੌਤ ਮੇਰੀ, ਇਕ ਗੱਲ ਚਰੋਕੀ  ...





No comments:

Post a Comment